Doc Martian's Lounge: Jennie Lowe Stearns - Blurry Edges

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Jennie Lowe Stearns - Blurry Edges

I really want to like this album; but I don't. It just doesn't come together for me. Maybe I'm not mature enough. Maybe I haven't had my heart ripped out in a long-term relationship that flopped. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough to like it... but if it doesn't grab you, it doesn't grab you. Jennie's been through a shitstorm lately. Divorce, teenage boys, her dad died, and this album is part of her coming to terms with it.

I can see it helping, she's a skilled songwriter, her musical skills are shiny too, and her collaborators seem to be top-notch. Its just... I dunno. Like she sounds like if Bob Dylan were Blossom Dearie. Precious sweet voice. Singsong sweet. Not that it isn't believable... but i dunno... some venom or something after that much crap. Sweet lady though, it shows.

You might like it. You might love it. There's a lot in it to love. I can't quite put my finger on why I can't get behind it though. Maybe I just need to grin and bear it more... cuz when I get hurt as bad as it sounds like this lady has... i wanna put my foot up somebody's ass. Even when the sadness or pain is agonizing. I'd say its worth giving this one a shot, its nice and soothing, which is maybe just the thing after your world gets whacked. Three stars for just sheer skill and like a fourth star if you're really super nice. Me? I'm just pretty nice, because super nice encourages people to fuck me too hard. Maybe that's what she's in the process of learning. Dunno, but she's got a really pretty voice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home